According to research, only 40% of contact lens users follow a good lens care routine and keep all warnings in mind. Others simply disregard these warnings and continue to use contact lenses as they like. While this can SOMETIMES be harmless, AT other times it can lead to infections and a host of eye problems. When you use contact lenses in Australia, it’s vital to keep certain important facts in mind and they include:
- Never Let the Lens Dry -Lenses are made from an absorbent material that soak up the multipurpose solution in order to remain moist and supple. If you place them in the lens cases without the solution, they’ll dry out is a matter of minutes and that would compromise their physical integrity. Dry lenses are brittle and have a plastic-like texture. You can’t wear them and would be forced to throw them away. When you aren’t wearing your lenses, soak them in the solution to restore moisture.
- Never Wash the Lenses with Water-Water has a number of bacteria and chemicals in it. While these bacteria and chemicals might not harm you when you drink it, they can harm you if they’re in constant contact with your eyes. Multipurpose solutions that your contact lenses absorb are specifically created with the biology of your eyes in mind. They make sure there’s no build-up on the lenses that can cause infection or lead to irritation. That’s one of the reasons you should always rinse your lenses in the multipurpose solution rather than water.
- Never Use Dirty Hands -It’s absolutely essential to wash your hands before your handle your lenses. Your hands can deposit bacteria and germs on the lenses, which can get into your eyes. If you wash your hands with mild, antibacterial soap before you handle the lenses, you’ll avoid infections and irritation.
- Never Use Old Solution-When you open a bottle of multipurpose solution, you can only use it for a limited period of time. For example, the Renu solution will only last for a month, regardless of what the expiry date is. The solution doesn’t last long after it’s exposed to air and the microbes in it. After a while, you’ll have to discard the solution because it will become less efficient in cleaning the lenses as time goes by.
- Never Wear Lenses for Too Long - You might not be aware of this, but contact lenses in Australia are porous and allow oxygen to pass through and reach the surface of the eyes. During this process, the lenses dry and start to shrink a little over time. Needless to say, that causes stain to your eyes and can lead to redness, irritation, and even headaches. Some people use eye drops to replenish the moisture content in contact lenses, but it’s not a good idea to wear them for more than 10 to 12 hours.
If you avoid these mistakes, you’ll be able to maintain your eye health and wear your contact lenses safely. If you want more any information on this, please contact Lens World. We’ll be happy to help.